News

Ex-NFL star Hernandez pleads not guilty in second murder case

Ex-NFL star Hernandez pleads not guilty in second murder case

CHARGED:Hernandez had been seen as a rising star in the league and had a contract with the Patriots worth about $40 million. The team dropped him hours after his arrest. Photo: Reuters

By Scott Malone

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League star Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to charges of murdering two men he met in a Boston nightclub in 2012.

The former New England Patriot, who is already in jail awaiting trial on charges of murdering a semi-professional football player in June 2013 was charged earlier this month in the 2012 killing of Cape Verdean nationals Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado.

Hernandez appeared dressed in a suit and tie but remained handcuffed throughout an afternoon hearing at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston. Members of his family began to weep loudly upon his entry in the courtroom.

Prosecutors said that after leaving the nightclub, Hernandez followed the car that Abreu and Furtado were riding in, pulled up alongside and shot the two men dead with a handgun. There was no evidence that he had previously known his victims or that the pair was involved in any criminal activity, prosecutors said.

Investigators linked Hernandez, 24, to the double-murder after the death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was found shot to death in an industrial park near Hernandez’s house in South Attleboro, Massachusetts, last June. Hernandez was previously charged in Lloyd’s murder and is being held at the Bristol County Jail awaiting trial.

Hernandez had been seen as a rising star in the league and had a contract with the Patriots worth about $40 million. The team dropped him hours after his arrest.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Recent Headlines

11 hours ago in National

Clinton did not comply with federal email policy, watchdog finds

15-overlay-13

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while U.S. secretary of state broke government rules and was not approved by State Department security officials, according to an internal government watchdog's report released on Wednesday.

12 hours ago in Local

Holyoke Man Pleads Not Guilty in Police Officer Stabbing

police lights

A grand jury has indicted Jeffrey Torres in connection with the March 18th stabbing at a South Hadley Dunkin Donuts shop.

12 hours ago in Local

Northampton Restaurant Closes Abruptly

Rally in Solidarity with Northampton Restaurant workers

The Pioneer Valley Workers Center is condemning the move, and is working with the affected employees to recover any back pay owed to them.

12 hours ago in Local

Security Cameras for French King Bridge

surveillance camera

The state has announced plans to install security cameras and preventative netting on the bridge, which has been the site of numerous suicide attempts over the years.

14 hours ago in Local

Montague Still Pursuing Broadband

internet cables

Officials attended an Amherst meeting last night of the Mass. Broadband Institute, which recently blocked Montague’s agreement with a provider willing to extend the service to underserved areas of town.