News

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher lead cast of new ‘Star Wars’

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher lead cast of new ‘Star Wars’

'STAR WARS:'This file publicity image provided by 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation shows Harrison Ford, as Han Solo, Carrie Fisher, as Princess Leia Organa, and Mark Hamill, as Luke Skywalker. in a scene from the 1977 "Star Wars" movie released by 20th Century-Fox. Photo: Associated Press/20th Century-Fox Film Corporation

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Harrison Ford will lead returning and rising stars, including Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis and Oscar Isaac, for the anticipated new “Star Wars: Episode VII” film, Walt Disney Co and Lucasfilm said on Tuesday.

Ford, Fisher and Hamill, who were rumored to be returning to director J.J. Abrams’ reboot of the franchise, will be joined by the series’ original stars Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2).

Ford played Han Solo, Fisher played Princess Leia and Hamill was Luke Skywalker in the original films, but it is not known if they will reprise their roles or have different characters in the new film.

Joining the franchise alongside “Lord of the Rings” star Serkis and “Inside Llewyn Davis” actor Isaac will be Swedish actor Max Von Sydow, “Girls” star Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson and newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley.

“It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud,” Abrams said in a statement.

Disney purchased “Star Wars” creator George Lucas’ Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4.05 billion and announced three new films in the franchise. “Episode VII” is scheduled for release on December 18, 2015.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Dan Grebler)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Local

Some see gas as replacement for Vermont Yankee

Vermont Yankee

Leaders in Vernon are hoping a gas-fired power plant will be built to replace Vermont Yankee

in Local

UMass Chancellor Leaving

UMass Amherst

UMass President Robert Caret is leaving to become chancellor at the University of Maryland

in Local

Narkewicz To Seek Five Liquor Licenses

nark inauguration

The mayor of Northampton wants to ask the state legislature for five more liquor licenses