News

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

HARRISON FORD: The 71-year-old star injured himself on the set of the latest "Star Wars" installment. Photo: Associated Press

Movie veteran Harrison Ford has undergone surgery to treat a broken leg following an accident on the set of the new “Star Wars” film.

The 71-year-old actor was believed to have fractured his ankle during filming at Pinewood Studios in England last week, when his foot was crushed by the door of the Millennium Falcon, the spacecraft which his character Hans Solo pilots.

However, his publicist has since revealed the injury is worse than previously reported, but he is recovering well after surgery.

A statement released by his representative Ina Treciokas reads: “His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly. “He’s doing well and looks forward to returning to work.”

Reports suggest Ford’s broken leg will keep him out of action for up to eight weeks. The actor’s son has said it could force Ford to be shot from the waist up for the remainder of the film.

Shooting on “Star Wars: Episode VII” has continued in his absence and the film is still expected to hit movie theaters in December, 2015.

The actor is reprising his role as Han Solo. It is the first of at least three new films that will continue Lucas’ saga after Disney purchased his production company, Lucasfilm, in 2012 for $4.05 billion.

The film will also have original “Star Wars” actors Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill reprise their roles along with Ford. The film will star Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac.

Recent Headlines

in National

TSA vows to close security gaps at U.S. airports

tsa

The new leader of the Transportation Security Administration said his top priority would be to close security gaps after an internal report showed 96 percent of undercover tests failed.

in Local

Cosby Accuser Discredits His Claims of Reading Sexual Cues

Bill Cosby

A lawyer says her client Andrea Constand is gay and was dating a woman when Cosby made his advances

in Local

Florence Man Pleads Not Guilty to Setting House Fire

northampton fire truck

Peter Zygmont, of Northampton, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Hampshire Superior Court to arson of a dwelling

in Local

Fugitive Turns Himself In After Charlemont Search

news-polic

A man wanted in a weekend hit-and-run on Cape Cod has turned himself in after a search in Charlemont

in Local

Northampton Rape Suspect’s Bail To Stay The Same

handcuffs

An accused Northampton rapist will remain in jail on ten-thousand dollars bail