News

American aid workers released from hospital, cleared of Ebola

American aid workers released from hospital, cleared of Ebola

TREATED FOR EBOLA: Dr. Kent Brantly and his wife, Amber, are seen in an undated photo provided by Samaritan's Purse. Brantly became the first person infected with Ebola to be brought to the United States from Africa, arriving at at Emory University Hospital, in Atlanta on Saturday, Aug. 2. Photo: Associated Press

By Rich Mckay

ATLANTA, (Reuters) – Two American aid workers who just weeks ago were gravely ill with Ebola they contracted in Liberia now pose no health risk to the public after being cleared of the virus and released from an Atlanta hospital, one of their doctors said on Thursday.

Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, who both contracted the deadly virus while working for Christian organizations, were discharged after blood tests showed no evidence of the virus and eased symptoms, said Dr. Bruce Ribner, medical director of the infectious disease unit at Emory University Hospital.

They are likely to make a complete recovery from the disease that has killed 1,350 people in West Africa, Ribner said.

“I am forever thankful to God for sparing my life,” Brantly, who was working for the Christian relief group Samaritan’s Purse, said during a news conference that marked his first public appearance since walking into the hospital wearing a bio-hazard suit on Aug. 2.

In a separate statement, Christian mission group SIM USA said Writebol was released from the hospital on Tuesday and was resting in an undisclosed location with her husband.

“Nancy is free of the virus, but the lingering effects of the battle have left her in a significantly weakened condition,” her husband, David Writebol, said in a statement. “We decided it would be best to leave the hospital privately to be able to give her the rest and recuperation she needs at this time.”

Ribner, who cared for the patients, said they were released in consultation with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“To the extent that we’ve tested, there is no evidence of Ebola virus in their bodies,” Ribner said.

Asked whether the experimental drugs used on the patients helped improve their survival, he said, “The honest answer is we have no idea.”

said what did know going into the treatment, however, was that the “key to surviving Ebola is aggressive supportive care,” which is something Emory medical workers knew they could deliver to the patients more effectively Africa.

The World Health Organization said on Wednesday that 2,473 people have been infected and 1,350 have died since the Ebola outbreak was identified in remote southeastern Guinea in March.

It said that no cases of the disease had been confirmed outside of Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria, despite cases having been suspected elsewhere.

(Additional reporting by Joe Bavier in Abidjan, Daniel Flynn in Dakar and Julie Steenhuysen in Chicago; Writing by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Louise Ireland, Bill Trott and Susan Heavey)

Recent Headlines

40 mins ago in National

Making headlines this week

Fresh
A couple is seen through an American flag as they walk to a polling place for the New Hampshire primary, Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016, in Nashua, N.H. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

A look back at some of the week's biggest headlines and the stories you may have missed.

1 hour ago in Entertainment, National

Roses and roaches: Cold-hearted Valentine’s Day ideas

Fresh
valentines

With the coldest air in more than a decade forecast to grip the United States this Valentine's Day weekend, the holiday dedicated to love is flashing its frigid side.

4 hours ago in Local

SJC Rules For Greenfield Big-Box Appeal

gavel

According to the state Supreme Judicial Court, the opponent’s appeal of a building permit for the French King Highway store can now move forward.

4 hours ago in Local

Four Arrests Result of Springfield Drug Raid

gun

More than a pound of heroin, a large quantity of crack cocaine and four loaded handguns were confiscated in the raid at 38 Denton Circle.

4 hours ago in Local

Northampton Historical Commission Delays Pomeroy Terrace Condo Plan

demolition

The Northampton Historical Commission has voted to delay Springfield businessman Matthew Campagnari's plans to replace the buildings with new condo units.