News

No charges in Florida State QB sex assault case

No charges in Florida State QB sex assault case

NO CHARGES: Florida State QB Jameis Winston won't face any charges in a sexual assault investigation. Photo: Associated Press

GARY FINEOUT, Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A prosecutor says Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged in a sexual assault case.

State Attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement Thursday. The 19-year-old Heisman Trophy candidate was accused of raping a female student in December last year, but Meggs says there is not enough evidence for anyone to be charged in the case.

The Tallahassee Police Department turned the case over to Meggs on Nov. 12 after several media inquiries. Meggs interviewed the accuser Nov. 21.

The prosecutor says Winston’s DNA matched a sample found in the woman’s underwear.

But Winston’s lawyer, Tim Jansen, has said that was expected and doesn’t prove guilt.

The top-ranked and undefeated Seminoles are playing Duke on Saturday in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. A win would likely put them in the BCS championship game.

Recent Headlines

in National, World

Netanyahu says Iran is threat to Israel, world

Updated
netanyahuspeech

The Israeli Prime Minister called for action over Iran's nuclear program.

in Local

Final jury to be chosen in Boston Marathon bombing trial

Tsarnaev

Just one final step remains before a jury is seated in the federal death penalty trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

in Local

Baker: I’ll reduce number of Massachusetts homeless families

Charlie Baker

Efforts to catch families before they fall into homelessness would get a boost under a plan being pushed by Gov. Charlie Baker.

in Local

Massachusetts delegation divided on Netanyahu speech

elizabeth warren

Massachusetts' all-Democratic congressional delegation is split over the decision of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to accept an invitation by House Republicans to address a session of Congress.

in Local

Amherst Plans For Blarney Blowout

by Jason Picard, Courtesy of Daily Hampshire Gazette

Six downtown Amherst bars have agreed to delay their opening time Saturday until the late afternoon.