News

Hegseth says US carried out 3 strikes on alleged drug-running boats in eastern Pacific, killing 14

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, center right, with Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi, left, and Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi, gestures as they listen to President Donald Trump speak to members of the military aboard the USS George Washington, an aircraft carrier docked at an American naval base, in Yokosuka, south of Tokyo, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2025. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein) Photo: Associated Press


WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced that the U.S. military carried out three strikes Monday in the waters of the Eastern Pacific against boats suspected of carrying drugs, killing 14 and leaving one survivor.
The announcement made on social media Tuesday, marks a continued escalation in the pace of the strikes, which began in early September spaced weeks apart. This was the first time multiple strikes were announced in a single day.
Hegseth said Mexican search and rescue authorities “assumed responsibility for coordinating the rescue” of the sole survivor but didn’t say if that person would stay in their custody or be handed over to the U.S.
In a strike earlier in October which had two survivors, the U.S. military rescued the pair and later repatriated them to Colombia and Ecuador.
Hegseth posted footage of the strikes to social media in which two boats can be seen moving at speed through the water. One is visibly laden with a large amount of parcels or bundles. Both then suddenly explode and are seen aflame.
The third strike appears to have been conducted on a pair of boats that were stationary in the water alongside each other. They appear to be largely empty with at least two people seen moving before an explosion engulfs both boats.
The death toll from the 13 disclosed strikes since early September is now at least 57 people.

Recent Headlines

17 hours ago in National

Crews hope to resume recovery of 8 bodies from California avalanche after days of dangerous weather

Crews hope to resume efforts Friday to recover the bodies of eight people killed and one still missing in an avalanche in California's Sierra Nevada after days of dangerous weather that has hampered safe access to the area.

17 hours ago in Olympics, Sports, Trending

Alysa Liu dazzles to win figure skating gold, ending a 24-year Olympic drought for US women

The 20-year-old from the San Francisco Bay Area, who walked away from the sport before finding her way back again — and finding herself in the process — delivered the U.S. its first women's figure skating gold medal in 24 years.

2 days ago in National, Trending

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy on Thursday as nuclear talks between the nations hung in the balance....

2 days ago in Trending, World

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over ties to Epstein

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former British prince who was stripped of his royal titles because of his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein...

2 days ago in National

Eight backcountry skiers found dead and 1 still missing after California avalanche

Crews found the bodies of eight backcountry skiers and are searching for one more who remains missing after an avalanche in the mountains near Lake Tahoe, authorities said Wednesday, making it the deadliest U.S. avalanche in nearly half a century.