News

Rookie Trey Yesasave to start World Series opener for Blue Jays, just his 7th big league game

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Trey Yesavage reacts after a fifth inning-ending double play in Game 6 of baseball's American League Championship Series against the Seattle Mariners in Toronto, Sunday, Oct. 19, 2025. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press via AP) Photo: Associated Press


By RONALD BLUM AP Baseball Writer
TORONTO (AP) — Rookie Trey Yesasave will start Friday night’s World Series opener for the Toronto Blue Jays against the defending champion Los Angeles Dodgers and Blake Snell, giving the 22-year-old more postseason starts than career regular-season outings.
Yesavage, who debuted on Sept. 15, will be making his fourth postseason start.
Blue Jays manager John Schneider said Thursday he wasn’t ready to announce his Game 2 starter from among Kevin Gausman, Max Scherzer and Shane Bieber.
Selected 20th overall in last year’s amateur draft from East Carolina University, Yesavage began the season at Class A Dunedin, was promoted to High-A Vancouver on May 20, Double-A New Hampshire on June 12 and Triple-A Buffalo on Aug. 12.
He was 1-0 with a 3.21 ERA in three starts in September, striking out 16 in 14 innings, helped by a devastating splitter, with seven walks.
Yesavage beat the New York Yankees with 5 1/3 scoreless, hitless innings in Game 2 of the Division Series as he struck out 11, lost Game 2 of the AL Championship Series when he allowed five runs in four innings, then won Game 6 of the ALCS on Sunday when he gave up two runs in 5 2/3 innings.
Gausman threw 19 pitches in relief in Game 7 of the ALCS on Monday against Seattle, three days after he tossed 91 pitches in his Game 5 start.
“It made sense to hold Kevin for a day,” Schneider said, not committing to Gausman for Game 2 on Saturday or Game 3 on Monday at Dodger Stadium.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB

Recent Headlines

17 hours ago in National

Crews hope to resume recovery of 8 bodies from California avalanche after days of dangerous weather

Crews hope to resume efforts Friday to recover the bodies of eight people killed and one still missing in an avalanche in California's Sierra Nevada after days of dangerous weather that has hampered safe access to the area.

17 hours ago in Olympics, Sports, Trending

Alysa Liu dazzles to win figure skating gold, ending a 24-year Olympic drought for US women

The 20-year-old from the San Francisco Bay Area, who walked away from the sport before finding her way back again — and finding herself in the process — delivered the U.S. its first women's figure skating gold medal in 24 years.

2 days ago in National, Trending

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy on Thursday as nuclear talks between the nations hung in the balance....

2 days ago in Trending, World

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over ties to Epstein

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former British prince who was stripped of his royal titles because of his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein...

2 days ago in National

Eight backcountry skiers found dead and 1 still missing after California avalanche

Crews found the bodies of eight backcountry skiers and are searching for one more who remains missing after an avalanche in the mountains near Lake Tahoe, authorities said Wednesday, making it the deadliest U.S. avalanche in nearly half a century.